Do you live within the city of Birmingham or outside of Birmingham city limits?
Within the City of Birmingham
- Within the City of Birmingham, we assist low-income home owners with disabilities to make their homes more accessible. The mission of this program is to allow people to get in and out of their home safely and use their bathroom as safely and independently as possible.
- Examples include modifications such as ramp construction, widening doorways, installing grab bars, removing tubs, and installing visual alarm systems.
- Deborah Harrison – Home Modification Specialist (City of Birmingham)
Phone: (205) 251-2223, ext 114
Email: [email protected]
For Home Modification services, please download & complete the Birmingham Home Modification Application.
Outside of Birmingham City Limits
For those outside of the City of Birmingham, we assist low-income homeowners over the age of 62 to reduce risk of falling or injury at home, improve general safety, increase accessibility, and improve functional abilities.
Examples include interior or exterior ramps, widening doorways, installing grab bars, completing minor repairs, and installing security systems.
For the HUD Home Modification Program, each applicant must:
- Apply at www.drradvocates.org /application-for-services or by calling (571) 207-9849
- Note: Once you have completed the DRR Application for Services, you will have 60 days to complete steps 2-5 below.
- Submit one proof of home ownership. Note that if you live in a mobile home, you must show proof of ownership of the mobile home AND the land.
- Property tax bill or receipt of payment
- Deed or Title to home
- Manufactured home certificate or Title
- Documentation of Mortgage Agreement
- Land Deed or tax payment
- Homeowners Insurance Contract
- Submit documentation of all household income. Submit one of the following documents for each household income:
- W-2 Forms/Pay stubs
- Letter from issuing agency
- Award letters/Benefits Statements
- 1099 Forms
- Provide current bank statements for each adult in the household
- Send forms and documentation
- Fax forms and documentation to (205) 251-0605
- Mail them to the address below:
HUD Home Modification Program
Disability Rights and Resources
1418 6th Avenue North
Birmingham, AL 35203
- Email forms to [email protected]
Note: Once you have completed the DRR Application for Services, you will have 60 days to complete steps 2-5 above.
This program is funded through Housing and Urban Development.
To join Disability Rights & Resources as a consumer and take advantage of all our services and peer support options, please fill out our application for services.
Disability Rights & Resources is a Center for Independent Living. It is NOT a residential facility nor a HUD voucher provider. We do not offer housing opportunities or vouchers for housing. We are happy to provide accessible housing resources, help individuals transitioning into an independent living situation, and offer independent living skills training through our information & referral and peer support services.