Reports to: Programs Coordinator
Department: Community Services
Employee Status: Full-time, Non-Exempt
Area Served: 20 Counties in the Disability Rights and Resources Service Area
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Date Posted: October 11, 2021
Date Closed: Until position is filled
Interest applications email resume with a cover letter to [email protected].
Have commitment to independent living philosophy. Maintain consumer confidentiality.
Have knowledge of community resources. Good interpersonal and communication skills and be able to work
Be able to work with diverse populations.
Be able to document services provided.
Be willing to learn more about civil rights laws and services for people with disabilities.
Have access to reliable transportation and have ability to travel within service area.
Be able to provide services in the consumers’ homes.
Have basic knowledge of computer operations.
Personal experience with disability preferred.
Upon request, the Center will provide staff members with disabilities reasonable job accommodations/modifications.
Note: During the COVID-19 pandemic, staff may be required to work from home. Staff member private space and high-speed internet service. DRR will reimburse a fixed amount for monthly internet service if a staff member is required by agency to work from home.
- A major focus of this position is providing independent living skills training and services to youth.
- Assist consumers reach their own independent living goals, including the development and monitoring of an independent living plan (or waiver).
- Provide core independent living services to a cross-disability population, including advocacy (individual and systems), peer support, independent living skills training, transition, and information and referral. Provide services in consumers’ homes and in the community.
- Coordinate activities that empower people with disabilities to fully participate in the community.
- Document community activities and consumer demographics, contacts, goals, and other data in accordance with agency procedures.
- Provide community outreach and awareness of Disability Rights and Resources.
- Work in collaborative manner with service providers, government agencies, and private sector.
- Provide support of local disability grassroots organizations.
- Other duties as required by supervisor.