Updates for Birmingham “Safer At Home” Order effective 4/30/20.
Birmingham City: website and sign up for text updates by typing BHMCOVID to 888-777
Alabama Department of Public Health Hotline: 1-888-264-2256
Click this link for a directory to COVID 19 testing sites. Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) | Alabama Department of Public Health (ADPH)
Quarantine Response Team of Birmingham – to serve the people of Birmingham who can not safely leave their home during the COVID-19 pandemic, by picking up medication, delivering groceries, running errands.
Bham Strong: a coalition of organizations and partners committed to doing work locally throughout the crisis
UAB Testing for COVID-19: By appointment ONLY. People who feel they need to be tested can call a number staffed by medical professionals starting at 12 p.m. Sunday. Testing begins at 9 a.m. Monday. The phone line will be open from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. and testing will be available from 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. The number is (205) 975-1881.
UAB Mobile Test Sites – New sites announced each week.
Get tested for COVID-19 by Assurance Labs: click the link to see hours and locations, as they are constantly changing
UAB Resources: resources on coronavirus and who to contact from UAB
Free Wifi for Birmingham students available at UAB.
Birmingham Free Store – offering several items for free, including vegetables.
Birmingham Mutual Aid Assistance: main page where community members can post items and/or services they can offer to help meet community needs
Comcast 60-Day COVID-19 Plan: Free Xfinity Wifi hotspots across the US available to anyone who needs them, including non-subscribers, all data plans paused for 60 days, and no disconnection of a customer’s internet service or assessment of late fees IF THEY CONTACT US and let us know they can’t pay their bills during this period
- If students don’t have access to the internet, they can call 844.488.8398 during the school shutdown for free internet access from Spectrum
Online AA Meetings: resources for online AA meetings during COVID-19
Horizons School: Resources from the Horizons School for students
Stimulus help for homeless in Jefferson County.
Portable restrooms and hand washing stations in Birmingham:
7950 Crestwood Blvd
5709 1st Ave N
2405 1st Ave S
Corner of 19th St S & 1st Ave S
1400 Morris Ave
1076 2nd Ave N
1019 1st Ave N
Brother Bryan Park
Arthur Shores Park
George Ward Park, dog park
Firehouse Shelter: The Firehouse Shelter and the Salvation Army will accept new clients who are being discharged from the hospital if particular conditions are met:
- Client has documentation stating they have tested negative for COVID-19
- Client is able to complete all activities of daily living without assistance
- Client is willing to be quarantined for one week for observation.
- The hospital staff discusses each potential discharge referral with the Shelter Administration prior to the client being discharged from the hospital to make certain that the Shelter has sufficient room, that the client is willing to go to Shelter, and that items 1 – 3 are met.
Because of space constraints, First Light and Pathways are not able to accept new clients at this time.